In 1842, the people of Hamilton had a vision of St Mary's. By 1847 that vision was a reality. It is a significant church in the heritage of the community. As well as being a vibrant, worshiping congregation, it was also the home church of the legendary 90th Regiment, 2nd Battalion of the Cameronians (Scottish Rifles).
St Mary's is a member of the Scottish Episcopal Church in the United Diocese of Glasgow and Galloway. The Rt Rev Kevin Pearson is our Bishop. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and lockdown and Scotland, Bishop Kevin was installed by deed from the College of Bishops as the 15th Bishop of the United Diocese on the 1st July 2020. The Diocese of Glasgow & Galloway is one of the 7 dioceses of the Scottish Episcopal Church and there are more than 60 churches across our diocese.
We strive to be an open, welcoming, inclusive and generous church community that has an outward-looking focus on our local community and the wider world.
In 2010, members of the congregation had a vision for St Mary's:
St Mary's is for ALL!
God's gifts enrich us and empower us to use our talents and capabilities to celebrate our Christian faith by:
- Expressing generosity to others.
- Recognising that in giving, we receive.
- Sharing peace and action with all people.
To that end, we endeavoured to make our premises fit for purpose in the 21st century, enabling us to reach out to our local community, and continue to be an open, welcoming, inclusive and generous church family, working in partnership with other charities, groups and the wider community.
The success of the St Mary's for All charity project, has been achieved, not only through the hard work of the then fundraising committee, but also the many donations and sustained support of the members of St Mary's, their families and friends. A very generous donation by church member Pat Blakeley, who died in 2009, enabled things to get started, with the church undergoing a huge architectural change.